Saturday, May 31, 2014

Dear Prudence

~*~* My #1 Favorite Beatles Song *~*~
For this blog's final post, I have decided to share with you my absolute favorite Beatles song. If you don't get right away why I feel this song is so special, just listen to it again... and again. It is hard not to be enchanted by the quirky charm and ethereal beauty of Dear Prudence.

Album: The Beatles (aka The White Album)
Year: 1968
Written by: Lennon & McCartney


Wow. I don't even know where to begin to tell you about this song because I love it so much. Listen to it with headphones on to hear all the cool and kind of weird musical layers, as well as the power in John's gentle singing.

In early 1968, The Beatles traveled to Rishikesh, India to study Transcendental Meditation (TM) with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. They wrote many songs and met many new friends during their visit. One new friend was Prudence Farrow, who spent most days all alone in her room trying to master the art of TM. Everyone was worried about her, so the Maharishi appointed John and George to convince her to join the rest of the group, which is when John started singing, "Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play..."

When all four Beatles returned home from India, they got together at George's house and recorded demos of the new songs they had each written. John had worked on Dear Prudence and played it for his bandmates, who joined in and added layers of new sounds when they recorded the song in the studio three months later.

John sings an absolutely sublime double-tracked lead vocal and also plays the haunting finger-picking guitar that runs throughout the song. Both Paul's bass and George's electric guitar are standouts on this track, but, sadly, Ringo does not appear on it. The band members had a disagreement the day before recording Dear Prudence, and Ringo temporarily quit the group, leaving Paul to play the drums. The fan-made video above features photos of The Beatles' visit to the Maharishi's ashram in Rishikesh.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just wanted to say that I was a former student at Noble Elemnetary before it became an advanced study school.My name is Vanesa and I was first introduced to The Beatles in third grade with Mr. Bravo. He was an amazing teacher and I am grateful he showed my classmates and I all about the band. I am so glad that the school has chosen to teach the students about the beatles and how a positive influence it is to them. I just think this is an amazing blog. I was also wondering if Mr. Bravo still teaches there?

Noble Dolphin said...

Thanks for the comment, Vanesa. I'm so glad that you learned about The Beatles when you were young. Their music and message really reach across all age ranges. No, Mr. Bravo no longer teaches at Noble, but maybe a teacher will remember him so that you can find out where he is. He must have been cool if he shared this music with you. ;-)

Unknown said...

He was really cool actually, he always related their music to subjects we were learning about at the time. There was always beatles music playing everyday in class, very memorable. Well, thanks and yea if someone knows where he is that would be nice.