Friday, May 9, 2014

If I Fell

Album: A Hard Day's Night
Year: 1964
Written by: Lennon & McCartney


This beautiful ballad has the most heavenly harmonies in all of pop music. That's just my opinion, of course, but have a listen and then try to tell me I'm wrong. ;-)

John wrote If I Fell to be included in the Beatles' first film, A Hard Day's Night, which is where the video above comes from. John sings the lead vocal, and Paul joins him in perfect harmony. When they recorded this song in the studio, John and Paul shared one microphone, just like one of their musical influences, The Everly Brothers, who were famous for their gorgeous harmonies. Probably because they would sing so close together, when John and Paul used to performed this song in concert, they would often get an incurable case of the giggles.

Giggles or not, I just love the beautiful singing in this song... which is why it is a Top Ten Favorite.

No comments: